Industry Event Only
New Zealand Winegrowers is proud to open the New Zealand Wine Sommelier Scholarship for international and New Zealand sommeliers for the 2019 intake.
The New Zealand Wine Sommelier Scholarship provides passionate wine ambassadors with the opportunity to take part in a memorable wine experience, discovering the regions, varieties, landscapes and personalities that make New Zealand wine distinctly New Zealand.
“It was truly the most amazing experience I could have ever hoped for and I’ve come home totally enlightened and with a breath of fresh energy.”
Limited to just 20 sommelier attendees, the 2019 Sommit™ will be held in Hawke's Bay on Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th of January.
Attended exclusively by sommeliers and targeted exclusively to their interests, The Sommit™ is a celebration of the lesser known aspects of New Zealand wine, with particular emphasis on the facets that resonate with the sommelier community.
Stephen Wong MW (New Zealand) and Ronan Sayburn MS (UK) will host the one and a half day Sommit™, providing a New Zealand and an international sommelier voice.
“Without question one of the great sommelier programs offered internationally...spend time travelling the wine regions of New Zealand with fellow sommeliers that come together from all parts of the globe.”
For international applicants, the scholarship includes:
- Attendance at the Sommit in Hawke’s Bay (Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th of January 2019)
- Attendance at the 2019 International Sauvignon Blanc Celebration in Marlborough (Monday the 28th to Wednesday the 30th of January 2019)
- Attendance at the Chardonnay & Sparkling Symposium in Gisborne (Thursday the 31st of January and Friday the 1st of February 2019)
- A combination of wine-related activities and tastings in other selected regions, providing not only winemaker interaction, but invaluable networking opportunities with international peers
- International and domestic flights, accommodation, meals, transfers, event registrations and all event inclusions
Candidates are expected to have a strong passion for the wine industry and a thirst for knowledge of New Zealand wine as illustrated in their application and curriculum vitae.
“Sommit was without a doubt the most incredible experience of my professional life. Not only was it fun and informative and adventurous, it personified the New Zealand wine industry through gracious hosts, serious winemakers and a level of playful uniqueness that won’t ever be forgotten.”
For any queries with regard to the New Zealand Winegrowers International Sommelier Scholarship and New Zealand Wine Sommit™, please contact Felicity Turner - New Zealand Winegrowers International Education Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org