After the success of the inaugural New Zealand Wine Week event in 2021, New Zealand Winegrowers (NZW) will be kicking off the second New Zealand Wine Week on 8 February 2022 (NZT).
Themed ‘Bringing New Zealand to You’, activities for the event are planned across the USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, China, and Australia. There is a wide-ranging programme including tastings, discussions, and online activities, and as our markets begin to open after the pandemic restrictions, NZW is excited to introduce physical events to the week in 2022.
“Being able to run hybrid events, with a combination of virtual and physical in-market platforms, is an impactful way to share the New Zealand wine story in our key export markets and shine a light on our premium and diverse wines to our trade and media audiences,” says Charlotte Read, General Manager Marketing, New Zealand Winegrowers.
“The theme of the week, ‘Bringing New Zealand to You’, comes at a time when the impact of the pandemic is ongoing and New Zealand’s borders remain closed. The advantage of audiences being so accustomed to the virtual domain is that we can now easily host leading speakers in their fields, wherever they are in the world. Having these types of speakers joining both virtual and physical gatherings will continue to raise the profile of New Zealand wine and keep it a part of the global conversation.”
One of the weeks hero webinar events, Business of Wine in New Zealand – 2022 and Beyond, will involve panellists from the UK, USA and New Zealand, and will provide a global perspective on the opportunities and challenges facing the New Zealand wine industry in the future.
The New Zealand Wine Week 2022 programme will include:
- ‘Business of Wine in NZ – 2022 and Beyond’ – chaired by Richard Siddle, this business webinar will discuss the current market challenges and how New Zealand is impacted by these. Richard will be joined by panellists Rob McMillan of Silicon Valley Bank, Erica Crawford of Loveblock Wines, and Matt Deller MW of Villa Maria.
- ‘Pinot Noir Masterclass Webinar’ – a masterclass led by Cameron Douglas MS that will focus on the sub-regionality across New Zealand's major Pinot Noir growing regions.
- New Zealand Wine Week – Pure Discovery Tasting, New York – held at The Modern in New York City, take a tasting tour of New Zealand and taste over 50 premium New Zealand wines, including some never-before seen in the USA.
- New Zealand Wine Week – Pure Discovery Tasting, Toronto– an opportunity to taste some wines never-before seen in Canada, take a tasting tour of New Zealand at the Peter Pan Bistro in Toronto. Over 50 premium New Zealand wines will be available at this walk-around tasting.
- London Annual Trade Tasting – the London Annual Trade Tasting is back after a year’s hiatus, with over 40 exhibitors showing more than 300 New Zealand wines.
- Dublin Annual Trade Tasting – 14 exhibitors showing over 100 New Zealand wines.
In the lead up to the event, NZW has launched a New Zealand wine Trade Hub on nzwine.com, that will provide wine trade with a wealth of New Zealand wine resources. The hub will feature a Global Wine Catalogue highlighting where New Zealand wineries are currently distributed and who is seeking distribution, educational materials on New Zealand wines and wine regions, New Zealand wine conversation highlights, as well as image and video galleries.
“A core part of our role is to help facilitate stronger links between our members and the global wine trade. We are proud of our resources that help tell the New Zealand wine story of our premium, diverse and sustainable wines, and have launched a Trade Hub to make our wines easier for our trade partners to find,” says Charlotte.
The New Zealand Wine Trade Hub can be viewed here, and you can view details about how you can participate in New Zealand Wine Week here.
For further information contact:
Global PR Manager
New Zealand Winegrowers