Organic grape and wine production is a growing part of the New Zealand wine world. Ten percent of New Zealand wineries now hold organic certification, including many of our iconic, world-renowned producers.
Certification is important. OWNZ only promotes wines from independently certified organic and biodynamic growers. In New Zealand, BioGro and AsureQuality provide internationally recognised organic certification. Biodynamic producers in New Zealand are certified by Demeter New Zealand.
OWNZ engages in research and education to promote knowledge-sharing about organic growing and works to educate the world about New Zealand's organic and biodynamic wines. OWNZ projects include:
- The Organic Focus Vineyard Project website is a wealth of information for growers looking to go organic
- The Organic and Biodynamic Winegrowing Conference, a multi-day biennial event featuring talks, tastings and more
- Manuals and factsheets for growers on key organic topics
- Field days and seminars on organic practice
- Promoting New Zealand organic wines to the world, including Organic Wine Week, public tastings, social media and trade and media outreach