Organic grape and wine production is a growing part of the New Zealand wine world. Ten percent of New Zealand wineries now hold organic certification, including many of our iconic, world-renowned producers.
Organic growers work in harmony with the rhythms and processes of nature, eliminating the need for synthetic chemicals and endeavouring to produce wines that are true to the earth.
As part of its commitment to sustainability, New Zealand Winegrowers supports and collaborates with Organic Winegrowers New Zealand (OWNZ). OWNZ is a grower-led organisation dedicated to supporting and encouraging the production of high quality, organic and biodynamically grown wines.
OWNZ engages in research and education to promote knowledge-sharing about organic growing, and works to educate the world about New Zealand organic and biodynamic wines.
Visit the Organic Winegrowers New Zealand website for a list of:
- The Organic Focus Vineyard Project, educating growers on how to go organic
- The Organic and Biodynamic Winegrowing Conference a multi-day biennial event featuring talks, tastings and more
- Field days and seminars on organic practice
- Mentoring for new organic growers
- Organic publicity initiatives, including consumer tastings, media and overseas events
Whether already organic or just starting out, all New Zealand wine industry members are welcome to join Organic Winegrowers New Zealand.
Member benefits include education, publicity and networking.
For general enquiries, please contact the OWNZ coordinator:
Phone: 027 359 4522
Follow Organic Winegrowers New Zealand on Facebook