In 1862, Sergeant Major Hugh William Bracken arrived in Arrowtown as part of the Otago Mounted Police. His authority, imposing frame and immense power proved priceless in Central Otago’s rugged wilderness.
Bracken was also a clever businessman, establishing the Queen's Arms Hotel in 1863, which eventually became the majestic Eichardt’s hotel.
The legend of Bracken's single-mindedness and attention to excellence is continued with a range of single-vineyard wines by the The Arrow River Wine Company of Central Otago. Releases are boutique, limited and prized, with an emphasis on rigorous refinement and integrity, just as Bracken would have demanded.