New Zealand Winegrowers survey over 2000 of our vineyard members every year to gather data so we can compile vineyard snapshots and more detailed vineyard reports on our industry.
Vineyard Register Report 2019
- The total producing area is 38,680 ha; a 2% increase on the preceding year
- The total producing area by variety is:
- White wine – 30,921 ha
- Red wine – 7,758 ha
- There are 2019 vineyards in NZ, with an average area of 19 ha
- Marlborough remains the largest producing region at 26,850 ha - 69% of total producing area
- Sauvignon Blanc remains the most significant variety at 24,037 ha - 62% of total producing area
- Pinot Noir remains the most significant red variety at 5,625 ha - 15% of total producing area
- 55% of total production area is Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc at 21,415 ha
Hover your mouse over the graphs below to view each of the figures.